ARTSAKH REPUBLIC NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
ON THE LEGAL STATUS
OF THE REPUBLIC OF ARTSAKH TERRITORIES
WHICH PASSED UNDER THE CONTROL OF AZERBAIJAN
Artsakh Republic National Assembly reaffirms, that:
- September 2, 1991, the independence of the Nagorno Karabakh (Artsakh) Republic was declared based on the USSR legislation and norms of the international law;
- In 1992-1994 the Republic of Artsakh repulsed the aggression unleashed by the Republic of Azerbaijan accompanied by numerous violations of international humanitarian law;
- The Republic of Artsakh, as a party to the conflict, participated in the negotiations within the framework of the 1992-2020 OSCE Minsk Group in different formats, to ensure regional stability and the peaceful settlement of the Karabakh conflict;
- The Republic of Azerbaijan, violating the obligation of the OSCE Minsk Group and the Co-Chairs to refrain from the use of force and the threat of force, September 27, 2020 launched large-scale military operations against the Artsakh Republic, to which thousands of our compatriots fell victim both among the civilian population and the ranks of the Defense Army, the civil infrastructure and cultural heritage of the Artsakh Republic have been deliberately destroyed.
Based on the above realities, the National Assembly of the Artsakh Republic announces:
- Up to the present moment, the territories of the Artsakh Republic under the control of Azerbaijan are considered occupied by the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Azerbaijan's aggression against the Artsakh Republic and the occupation of the mentioned territories cannot have any legal impact in the process of determining the status and borders of the Artsakh Republic during future negotiations.